Tuesday, June 29, 2010

World Wide Wilson

I'll get back to the ESPN Radio Host Power Rankings when I can, but I want to explore something that has really been bugging me lately.  Since every single player in the NBA is a free agent this summer, there has been a lot of speculation about where they will all go and what they're thinking and why they will do whatever it is they've already decided to do.  A name that keeps popping into conversations is "World Wide Wes."  Although I'm not sure what it is that he does, (other than know a lot of people) he seems to have great influence over both the players and owners alike.

When I was in about the second or third grade, I played Boys Club basketball and enjoyed it very much.  One of the reasons it was so enjoyable to me was because we dominated pretty much every game.  The reason for this was partly because of the talent that we had, but mostly because our coach (my dad) who is the County Prosecutor, was a little over qualified for the position.  As a quick example, most teams at that age play man to man defense because everyone can understand the concept of finding a number on the other team and staying next to him.  We ran a 1-3-1 zone defense, effectively.  If you've ever seen a group of eight year old boys do anything, you understand what an accomplishment this is.  Needless to say, when you're forcing eight year olds to take jump shots, you're going to win a lot of games.

Anyway, back to the story.  One game we were winning by about a hundred points and my dad called a time out.  We all gathered around in the huddle and tried to understand what he started to tell us.

"We're not going to press anymore.  Back up to half court and wait 'till they come across to start playing defense."

We were all kind of confused.  My good friend, and the leader of our team, Scott Cline voiced our concern.  With all the innocence of an eight year-old, but as serious as he could be, he sternly asked a simple question.

"Why?"

I honestly don't remember what my dad's response was, but I know we backed off the full court press and managed to hold on for the win.

I think of this story when I hear people suggest that teams should consult William Wesley about the intentions of Lebron James.  My immediate question, with the same honesty and sternness of an 8 year old, is "Why?"

I'm not saying that he doesn't have the influence.  It's the job of these people to figure out what's going on.  My question is simply why.  I just don't have enough data to compute the following statement:

"If teams think they want a chance at Lebron, they better be getting in touch with World Wide Wes."

What part of the equation does he factor into?  At what part of the process does a GM, or an owner say, "You know, I'd like to know what a completely dissociated person thinks about this."

It's kind of like when people quote Movie Stars on political issues.  I don't care what Denzel Washington says about politics anymore than you care what I think.  He's an actor.  Why would the owner of a multi-million dollar organization care about the approval of World Wide Wes just because he happens to know Lebron James and Jay-Z.  It's not relevant.  I mean, why don't they call me about it?  Or, you?

Maybe someone can explain this to me.  Or, maybe after all the dust settles, I'll understand why his role is so important.  But, one day away from open season on free agents, I only have one question about the gravity of World Wide Wes.

"Why"

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJuly 05, 2010

    I wasn't familiar with this "World Wide Wes"'s far-reaching influence, but I'm inclined to agree with you. That seems rather absurd to rely on some guy who is probably just full of himself because of his personal connections and try to use him to wield his friendship over someone like LeBron to talk him into joining your team. That just is plain stupid. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete